Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Finished Cryptonomicon, Going Baroque Next

Quicksilver: The Baroque Cycle #1I finished reading Cryptonomicon a few days go and I finally came around to reading the preview of Quicksilver at the back of the book yesterday. It makes me want to buy the whole Baroque Cycle series. After finishing Cryptonomicon, having been a bit disappointed at how unspectacular the ending was, I was left wanting for a sequel. There isn't a sequel per se, but there's the Baroque Cycle series of 3 books which are prequels to Cryptonomicon story. All 3 books are 900+ pages each. Pretty hefty and in the same long-winded story kind of book as Cryptonomicon was. The preview I read has stirred my interest and I am planning to buy the three, but maybe do it one at a time. You can actually find the 3 books at Amazon for about US$10 each and on Barnes and Noble for US$11.50 each. If you find the right page though, you'll be able to get a great deal buying all three for just US$25 in Amazon (go to this page and scroll down a bit and you'll see a link to the $25 offer: The Confusion). That qualifies it for Amazon's free shipping. Barnes and Noble also offers the same free shipping when you spend $25. If only I lived in the continental US - LOL.

The Confusion (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 2)I did try and find out how much it would cost for Amazon to ship it to me here in the Philippines. That almost doubled the price, since the shipping charges were around US$20. I might find better prices if I scour around Fully Booked this weekend. Their store at Marquee Mall has a few copies of The Confusion the last time I was there. I could always ask them for all three and just wait for the books to arrive. They actually have great prices, considering they're bringing in these books from the US. So off to the mall I go.

No comments: