Wednesday, May 10, 2006

¿¿¿ Reality ???

At around 10 am everyday, my mother turns on the TV to Channel 23 to watch the Pinoy Big Brother outtakes being aired. It's basically the footage early in the morning that isn't included in the summarized version that airs during primetime. It shows the "contestants" starting their morning rituals and eating breakfast. Really minor stuff. But people watch it for about 2 hours or so. People including my mother.

I emphasized the word contestants because I don't really like reality shows. They show a feigned reality where contestants act in an unguarded and honest way. That is, compared to movie acting or soap acting. Anyway, its fake reality with manufactured "real" life situations. My wife's a big fan of these types of shows. She started with Survivor. With the advent of PBB's Celeb Edition, she was able to influence my mother. :::sigh:::

I hate reality shows. The fakeness factor just makes me shudder. Actually it also gives me goosebumps too -- from utter shame. I can't believe that people feed off of this. Oh, and since everybody in our house (and everybody else everywhere) watches this, it's inevitable that I'll get little bits and pieces of it in my head. Watching 2 minutes of the outtakes this morning and hearing from my mother that there were "forced evictions" of contestants has convinced me -- today's generation of teens and young adults really are deplorable brats. :::ugh:::

No comments: