Saturday, September 17, 2011

Genshiken: Return of the Otaku

Genshiken: Return of the OtakuI've been watching Genshiken on and off for the last 3 weeks and I've really been getting into the characters as they evolved through the series. It's common for anyone who watches the anime to want to read the manga. It's the same with the loyal manga fans of any series to inversely want to watch the anime when that eventually comes out after the manga itself.

On one of my visits to Book Sale, one of my favorite stores when it comes to cheap books, I stumbled on their manga section. Curious, I browsed around. I found a few titles that I was familiar with over on the anime side of things. Then I found Genshiken: Return of the Otaku. Flipping through the pages, I was surprised to find it was a novel I was leafing through. Curiosity got the better of my and I bought it for Php160.

Genshiken Dx: TV Series One & Ova CollectionAfter reading through the initial chapters, I found what I was looking for. Madarame and Sasahara were in the club room discussing how 'commercial' the whole manga publishing industry had gotten. Madarame was assailing the novel type manga as just another way for the large publishers to squeeze more money out of a series. Sasahara disagreed and to my estimation he thought of novel type manga as an extension of comic-book style manga, just like anime is an extension through a different medium of the original manga series. Well after reading through Genshiken: Return of the Otaku, I tend to agree with Sasahara.

Well, what is it about? Genshiken: Return of the Otaku when compared to the timeline of the anime is somewhere between the season ender for Season 1 and the Season 1 OVA. The members of the Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture disappear one by one, coinciding with a purge being perpetrated by a new student leader that has hidden motives for trying to control the clubs in the school. His secret mission is to find a demon statue that's supposed to give him supernatural powers should he be able to unite it with it's twin statue. Creepy, huh?

Genshiken Ono Kanako PVC Statue 1/8 ScaleAnyway, the story ends with Madarame being the surprise hero. All  is well after another well-timed surprise appearance by the First President of Genshiken. As always, he doesn't get involved but gives the Genshiken a helpful nudge towards the solution to the mystery.

All in all, I enjoyed the Genshiken: Return of the Otaku, even if it was a novel. There were pages though where there were full page illustrations to help tie over the reader deprived of the visuals of the full comic book manga.

No comments: